Burnout is now a legitimate workplace medical diagnosis, according to the International Classification of Diseases, or the ICD-11, the World Health Organization’s handbook that guides medical providers in diagnosing diseases.
Burnout now appears in the ICD-11’s section on problems related to employment or unemployment. According to the handbook, doctors can diagnose someone with burnout if they meet the following symptoms:
- feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion
- increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one’s job
- reduced professional efficacy
Companies need an immediate strategy that actually delivers a reduction in potential or actual burnout – some simple actions would include:
1 – Create an ‘adult’ culture based on accountability – let’s avoid being ‘frightened’ of the employees…!
2 – Help build resilience in processes, structures and in people so that tools exist to recognize and delay burnout – and where burnout begins to be seen, that policies allow for rest and renewal so that people can bounce back
3 – Create a sense of development, purpose and intent in the culture, rather than ‘sweating the people asset’
4 – Build great leadership and management practices so that people can trust their boss and have robust development coaching conversations rather than command and control interactions – ensure that communication is a key part of the culture and that leadership clarity minimizes confusion and poor change management
5 – Reward fairly and for the longer term. Paying a few cents an hour under the proper rate may give short-term gains, but once burnout litigation or insurance fees start to bite, this will be recognized as a false economy
6 – Focus HR on delivering wellbeing ‘value’ rather than providing ping-pong tables and fruit…!
7 – Create tech free areas where people can have face-to-face conversations
8 – Encourage people to eat sensibly and experience ‘fresh air’ during the working day (not view it from an air conditioned box)…
Resilience has become one of the critical business skills of the twenty-first century and a powerful antidote to burnout. As organisations recognise that a strategic approach is required to achieve their business objectives and get results, we now understand that the ability to cope with change and challenges effectively and bounce back from difficult situations, will allow us to thrive.
For us, Personal Resilience is all about performance. Ensuring that people can build upon their job skills with a resilience toolkit that enhances their potential and delivers superior performance. Our model of Personal Resilience allows for people to become more empowered in the areas of Stress Management, Pressure Management and Anxiety – the ‘axis of evil’ for burnout….!
Personal Resilience is about managing energy and creating balance in the key areas of mental, emotional and physiological performance and being able to manage these within a personal context and working environment. This allows managers to not only unlock their performance potential, but also to manage the performance of their teams and feel happy and fulfilled both inside and outside of work.
The organisation benefits from Personal Resilience through:
- Higher performance levels leading to greater productivity
- Improved morale and motivation
- An increase in engagement
- Retention of key employees
- Reduced absenteeism
- Reduced costs associated with ill-health and injury at work
- A decrease in short and long term sickness
- Meeting its Health and Safety obligations
The individual benefits from Personal Resilience through:
- An increase in your ability to remain task-focused and be productive whilst experiencing challenge and pressure
- Building knowledge and understanding as to how personal resilience levels relate to confidence, energy, management and performance improvement
- Learning simple techniques to control your physiological response to pressure that will help maintain effective performance when feeling stretched
- A rise in capacity to sustain performance and focus during change and the ability to lead yourself and others, through uncertainty more effectively
- Greater control and self-management capabilities to positively influence people and performance
- An improvement in energy, clarity, attitude and engagement
- An increased ability to bounce back from setbacks, emerge stronger and more resourceful
Find out more about:
Our Personal Resilience initiatives are tailored to our clients’ specific needs. We work with our clients to create the most effective solutions for their business. These range from the creation of effective, punchy, bite-size modules through to more substantive programmes. Call us on 07770 811352 to find out more.
Find out more about resilience by downloading our free ebook “Resilience Unravelled“